Your toddlers sleep is so important as you no doubt already know. A lack of sleep causes your child to not eat properly, become very irritable and generally cause you concern and stress. Be consoled by the fact that most toddlers go through phases of not sleeping well but they are just phases and can be helped.
- Shorten his nap or remove it all together.
- Ensure your child gets at least 30 minutes of activity / exercise per day, preferably out doors and in the afternoon.
- Avoid TV, scary stories and any other stimuli before going to bed.
- Try to avoid bringing your toddler into your bed and if they come to your room during the night simply escort them back to their own bed without speaking too much to them.
- Use a night light and try to avoid a bedside lamp or strong lighting. If they get up to use the bathroom at night there should only be minimal light used to get them to the bathroom and back.
- If possible let your child wake up with natural light from the window as it stabilises sleep rhythms and will put him in a better mood when he wakes up.
- Keep your child's bedroom at about 23-24 degrees Celsius for sleeping.
- Avoid television or game consoles in your child's room.
- Keep a regular sleep routine.